The government has extended the last date of Aadhar-PAN linking, they have extended by 3 months from 31 March to 30 June. How To Link PAN With Aadhar Check below.
Do you know how to link PAN with Aadhar? If not, then this is the ideal setting for you to pick it up and use it since it is required. Taxpayers with PAN cards must link them with their Aadhar cards by the deadline.
You will be subject to an Rs. 1,000 fine if you fail to link it before the deadline. If the PAN card and Aadhar linkage is not completed by June 30, 2023, the PAN card will no longer have validity starting from July 1, 2023.
Choose “Connect Aadhar” from the list of Quick Links on the homepage of the Income Tax e-Filing Portal. To get an OTP, enter your mobile number and PAN. You’ll be transferred to the e-Pay Tax page following OTP verification.
- 1 Linking PAN Card With Aadhar Card: Mandatory For Who?
- 2 Steps: How To Link PAN With Aadhar
- 2.1 How To Check If Your Aadhar Is Linked To Your PAN Card?
- 2.2 What Happens If My Aadhar Card Is Not Linked To My PAN Card?
- 2.3 How to check if Aadhar is linked with a PAN card through SMS?
- 2.4 Aadhar-PAN Links Penalty Fees
- 2.5 Who Is Exempted From Aadhar-PAN Linking?
- 2.6 PAN Aadhar Linking for NRI: Is it Mandatory?
- 2.7 Is It Possible To Link PAN With Aadhar After It Becomes Inoperative/ Invalid?
- 2.8 How To Pay Late Fee For Linking PAN With Aadhar Card?
- 3 Frequently Asked Questions
- 4 Conclusion
Linking PAN Card With Aadhar Card: Mandatory For Who?
|Individuals||Mandatory to obtain Aadhar||Mandatory to link PAN and Aadhar Card|
|NRI living abroad||No||No|
|NRI living in India for more than 182 days||Yes||Yes|
|OCI living outside of India||No||No|
|OCI living in India for more than 182 days||Yes||Yes|
Steps: How To Link PAN With Aadhar
You can check how to link PAN with Aadhar by doing the following:
a) Go to https://incometaxindiaefiling.gov.in/ to open your income tax e-filing portal.
b) Register for it (if not already done). Your PAN will serve as your user ID (Permanent Account Number).
c)To log in, enter your User ID, password, and birthdate.
d) A popup will pop up asking you to link your PAN and Aadhar. If not, select “Link Aadhar” from the menu bar’s “Profile Settings” section.
e) The name, date of birth, and gender will already be mentioned in the PAN information.
f) Compare the PAN details displayed on the computer to those mentioned on your Aadhar. Please remember that you must correct any discrepancies in both copies.
g) If the information is accurate, input your Aadhar number and select “link now.”
h) A pop-up notification confirming the successful integration of your PAN and Aadhar will appear.
i) To link your PAN and Aadhar, you can also go to https://www.egov-nsdl.co.in/.
How To Check If Your Aadhar Is Linked To Your PAN Card?
Please be aware that the income tax department will not process your income tax returns if your PAN and Aadhar are not connected before you file your returns.
If there is a tiny mismatch in the names between the two databases or if the names match exactly, people can use the official Income Tax e-filing website to link the two identity cards.
If you’re unsure, you can check the website given below to discover if your PAN and Aadhar cards are connected. If it isn’t linked, you can add a link right here.
Follow the step-by-step guide to know the status of your PAN card is either linked with your Aadhar or not:
- Start by visiting the homepage and finding the quick links table, there search for the “Link Aadhar Status” link.
- The following page shall carry two different fields where you will need to fill out your Aadhar and PAN card numbers respectively.
- As you submit your provided information the server will check its database to update you on your status.
- A pop-up message will be displayed according to your status where if its already linked it shall read, “Your PAN is already linked” whereas in case your request is still in the process it shall read, “Your Aadhar-PAN linking request has been sent to UIDAI for validation. Please return to the Home Page later to verify the status by clicking the “Link Aadhar Status” link.
- For those who still haven’t applied for their PAN card to be linked with their Aadhar card, a dialogue box will be displayed reading, “PAN not linked with Aadhar. To link your Aadhar with PAN, kindly click “Link Aadhar.”
Another way of checking your Aadhar status is by logging into your Income Tax portal and following the steps as provided:
- Visit the ‘Dashboard’.
- Choose the ‘Link Aadhar Status’ by going to the ‘My Profile’ tab.
- If your Aadhar is already linked, your valid Aadhar Id will be displayed else an option to link will be displayed.
What Happens If My Aadhar Card Is Not Linked To My PAN Card?
Introduction of Section 139AA of the Income Tax Act 1961, each individual with an identity of an Indian citizen is obliged to link their Aadhar card with a PAN card as directed by the Indian Government by 30th June 2023.
Every individual has been required to link their PAN card and Aadhar card. This policy was put in place by the government to combat PAN card duplication and tax evasion. Nonetheless, despite this need, many people have not linked their PAN cards with Aadhar cards.
Let’s discuss what shall be the consequences of linking your Aadhar-PAN by 30th June 2023:
- Your PAN will be null and dispensable.
- The PAN card cannot be used for any kind of financial transaction.
- You will not be able to file your income tax returns (ITR).
- Several government schemes such as LPG subsidy, Pradhan Mantri Awas Yojana, and scholarships require the individual to have a valid Aadhar card linked with a PAN card. If the Aadhar card is not linked with the PAN card, you will be disqualified from receiving these benefits.
- You will be going against the law by not doing as asked resulting in a penalty. Depending on how long the violation went unpunished, the fine can be anywhere between Rs. 1,000 and Rs. 10,000.
- Many banking restrictions will be applied to you, such as
- Fixed deposit of Rs. 50,000 and above.
- Issuing Debit/Credit Card
- Invest in Mutual Funds.
Among various methods of checking your status to link Aadhar and PAN, one is by catching up through SMS services.
- Use government-authorized number 567678 or 56161 to send a query message in the format as: “UIDPAN <12 digit Aadhar number> <10 digit PAN number>”.
- Similar to every request if your Aadhar is successfully previously linked with your PAN card, a message confirming the same will be sent to you.
Aadhar-PAN Links Penalty Fees
March 31, 2022, was the last day to link a PAN with an Aadhar without paying a penalty. The government changed the deadline to June 30, 2023, with an Rs. 1000 fine.
Who Is Exempted From Aadhar-PAN Linking?
- All the citizens have the age category of 80 years or above.
- All the Non-residents category of tax-payer as distinguished by the Income-tax Act.
- Foreigners or Non-Indian citizens.
- Locals from the state of Assam, Jammu & Kashmir, and Meghalaya.
PAN Aadhar Linking for NRI: Is it Mandatory?
For Non-Resident Indians (NRIs), the question arises whether linking Aadhar with PAN is mandatory or not.
As per the current rules under Section 139AA (3), NRIs are not required to obtain an Aadhar card. Thus, it is not necessary for them to link their Aadhar with their PAN.
However, if an NRI holds an Aadhar card, it is recommended to link it with their PAN card to avoid any potential issues with their tax filing.
It is important to note that if an NRI has an Indian source of income and has obtained a PAN card, they are required to file their income tax returns (ITR) in India. In such cases, linking their Aadhar card with PAN becomes essential for smoother tax filing and to avoid any potential penalties for non-compliance.
The process of linking Aadhar with PAN for NRIs is the same as for resident Indians. NRIs can use the income tax e-filing website to link their Aadhar card and PAN. They will need to enter their PAN and Aadhar card details, and the linking will be completed after successful verification.
It is worth mentioning that in case an NRI does not have a PAN card, they will need to apply for it if they have an Indian source of income. For a number of financial operations, including opening a bank account, purchasing securities, purchasing and selling real estate, etc., a PAN card is necessary.
Is It Possible To Link PAN With Aadhar After It Becomes Inoperative/ Invalid?
If an individual fails to link their Aadhar with their PAN within the specified deadline, their PAN card will become inoperative/ invalid.
An inoperative/ invalid PAN card can lead to various financial and legal issues, including difficulty in filing income tax returns, inability to open bank accounts, disqualification from receiving government benefits, and penalties.
To avoid any problems, it is imperative that you link your Aadhar and PAN before the cutoff date. If your PAN card has become inoperative/ invalid due to non-linking with your Aadhar, you can restart your PAN Card by paying a penalty and requesting it through your registered account.
As soon as your request is approved your PAN card will become active once again, this time with an active link to your Aadhar Card.
How To Pay Late Fee For Linking PAN With Aadhar Card?
If you have missed the deadline, you can still link your Aadhar with your PAN by paying a late fee.
The following steps explain how to pay the late charge for linking your PAN card and Aadhar card:
Step 1: Visit the Income Tax Department’s official e-filing website at https://www.incometaxindiaefiling.gov.in/home.
Step 2: Log in to your account using your PAN and password.
Step 3: After login in, select “Link Aadhar” under “Profile Settings” from the menu.
Step 4: Click the “Connect Aadhar” button after entering your Aadhar number.
Step 5: If you have missed the deadline, you will see an option to pay the late fee. Click on the “Pay Now” button.
Step 6: On a new page that will load, you will be asked to select your mode of payment. You can use a debit card, credit card, or net banking to pay the late fee.
Step 7:After deciding on a payment method, fill out the necessary information to complete the transaction.
Once the payment is successful, your Aadhar will be linked with your PAN, and you will receive a confirmation message. The Rs. 1,000 late cost for tying Aadhar to PAN is subject to future rises. Thus, in order to prevent having to pay a late charge, it is advised that you link your Aadhar with your PAN before the cutoff date.
Frequently Asked Questions
1. When can I link my PAN to my Aadhar?
It is necessary to link Aadhar and PAN in order to pay taxes. The Income Tax Department mandates the connection of the Permanent Account Number (PAN) and Aadhar card, which must be finished by June 30, 2023. One must take this action in order to avoid paying any fines.
2. How can I find out if my PAN and Aadhar cards are linked?
The status can now be checked through SMS thanks to the IT division. You need to text 56161 or 567678. If the PAN and Aadhar are linked, the message “Aadhar is already associated with PAN in ITD Database” would show up.
3. Why link Aadhar to PAN?
Since the initial circular requiring that everyone link their Permanent Account Number (PAN) with their Aadhar was published, some time has passed. By guaranteeing that each taxpayer has a unique identification number attached to their PAN, tries to prevent tax evasion.
Now that you know how to link Pan with Aadhar card, do not waste any more time and hurry to check your status of approval to avoid the penalty charged to those who fail to stand by the law.
In short, it can be said that linking your Aadhar card with your PAN card has become mandatory to streamline financial transactions and curb tax evasion.
Therefore, it is important for every citizen who is eligible to pay income tax to link their Aadhar card with their PAN card. Failure to do so can result in penalties, disqualification from receiving benefits, and invalidation of the PAN card.